Top Ten Tuesday this week is all about my favourite book debuts. There are so many, that this particular list has been one of the hardest I’ve had to write – so much indecision! If anything, I’ve had to cherry pick from my favourite genres, since that seems to be the only category that helps…
1. The Time Traveller’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. The first time I picked this up, I read the first few chapters then put it down. A couple of years later, I picked it up again and fell in love with the story and characters.
2. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larsson – I know there are mixed feelings about this book and the series, but I’m not going to apologise for admiring Lisbeth Salander, rooting for her and feeling vindicated by the end of the trilogy.
3. Greywalker by Kat Richardson – one of the best supernatural detective series to come out of Seattle.
4. Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman – perhaps not strictly his first ever novel, it was his first solo novel and the novel that made me try to get hold of all his books!
5. The Edible Woman by Margaret Atwood – a strange but compelling story, not the first of her books that I read but definitely something worth reading!
6. Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone by J. K. Rowling – Self explanatory really.
7. Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice – this was my first taste of adult supernatural fiction…and I haven’t looked back since.
8. The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold – although she published her memoir Lucky in 1999, I don’t think this is cheating as its her first work of fiction. Beautiful but harrowing novel.
9. Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison – the first in the Hollows series – fun and pacey novel about a Witch, her Vampire friend Ivy and a little pixy called Jenks!
10. High Fidelity by Nick Hornby – one of my first forays into literary fiction, just a brilliant writer and always entertaining.